Saturday 19 November 2011

Evisorax Tour Diary

Here is the only section of Dan's tour diary from Evisorax's tour with Wormrot.



31/08/2011

The night before it all began.

Travelling to to Magor was a complete disaster. After loading into the van at my house, we decided it would be a clever time-saver to make use of the M6 toll....WRONG DECISION!
We missed our turning and the Sat Nav sent us back in a circle - meaning we incurred the toll twice. Besides this, we then had to pay a third time when crossing the Severn Bridge!
With fuel on top of all this, our drummer Brod’s credit card was feeling the heat. After leaving Wigan at three pm we finally arrived at Magor four hours later.



On approaching the front door of my mother’s house, it dawned on me just who was waiting beyond and just what was expected of us, starting from tomorrow morning. A mixture of intense nervous excitement began to whirl around as I made my way through to the garden, where the Wormrot crew were already drinking - desperately trying to muster an ice breaker, the following exchange occurred: 'I’ve brought a beer bong!' ’Good one, dickhead!'

                                                 (This is where the real grind happens)

Needless to say, copious amounts of alcohol consumption, smoking and beer bongs went on late into the night. These festivities were followed by a boxer short hot tub session, naturally. I crawled into my bed feeling as if I’d suffered a stroke, the fear of the impending hangover kicked in as I drifted off..............

01/09/2011.

Cardiff – The undertone.

To wake up with a mouth like a desert and your head feeling like it’s in an eternal washing machine spinning motion is bad enough, but knowing the tour began that morning just made it fucking agonising! Thankfully a mega sized breakfast (which Wormrot referred to as ‘steroid food’) and an alarming amount of coffee and smokes sorted me, although unloading the backline from our vehicle then into the tour bus wasn’t a great deal of fun. It was like a giant game of Tetris, although Brod must have played it a great deal seeing as he was able to organise it all with his eyes shut.

The tour bus was driven by Heath Derrig of Fargo tours and he took a great deal of pleasure in informing us that Slayer and Slipknot had used the bus before.......knickers became moist. During the ride to Cardiff, one thing became blindingly obvious, Wormrot fucking smoke heavily. These guys have fucking iron lungs, man - if there was an Olympic event for smoking then these guys would take the gold.



On arrival at the venue, the first of what would become a daily recurring problem began…stairs. Lugging the entire backline, including over-sized bass and guitar cabs up and down multiple flights of narrow staircases soon became a fucking hassle. Although it wasn’t all negative - the first of what would become a certainty for each night began: riders! Free beer, free food......... a guy could get used to this!

I could hardly keep myself from throwing up before we played, not only was this the first time I’d played a show in over two years, it would also be the first time Brod, Chris and I had ever even run through a song together. Never mind in front of an ever increasing crowd whilst on tour with Wormrot. When we hit that stage I was fucking raging. I wanted to rip faces off and ruin people’s lives; my body was full of adrenaline.



From the second Brod hit the snare, we were off, full force fucking rage! Offending everyone, full on confrontation and no holding back. I don’t remember a great deal of the stage time, just that I was convulsing and enjoying every second, ramming into the crowd and knocking people over. Though half way through, cramp set in, I'd forgotten how demanding this could be. The show was a complete success and people raided our merch table and actually wanted things to be signed.

After Evisorax being defunct for so long, the relief was incredible. Wormrot destroyed the place, every person in there went mental.  The amazing reality dawned on me that I would be able to watch this every night for free and get to play as well. It doesn’t get any better.

No comments:

Post a Comment